ATHENS - Data is not covered by intellectual property rights, but vendors are increasingly claiming rights and adding usage rights in contracts with clients, according to a panel at the FISD World Financial Information Conference in Athens.
"There are no intellectual property rights in market data," said Meredith Gibson, senior vice-president and counsel, IP and O&T Law Group, Citi, explaining that "strings of numbers have no copyright in them." "The last time judges looked at (this topic in the
Should regulators take a more active role when it comes to AI oversight, or leave it to the professionals? What will M&A look like in 2018?Subscribe to Weekly Wrap emails
- AFTAs 2017: Best Front-Office Initiative—State Street Global Exchange
- AFTAs 2017: Best Third-Party Technology Vendor CIO or CEO—Neil Barua, IPC Systems
- AFTAs 2017: Best Analytics Initiative—Credit Suisse
- AFTAs 2017: Best Data Management Initiative—Deutsche Bank
- AFTAs 2017: All the Winners and Why they Won