Satellite imagery is one of the many potentially profitable alternative datasets that hedge funds and investment management firms are starting to use in earnest. But firms should be thinking carefully about how they are going to use that data.
“The conviction behind how the data should be used and interpreted—that is what is generating alpha, rather than the data itself,” said Christine Chow, a director at Hermes Investment Management, who was speaking at this year’s Waters Europe conference.
The founder and CEO of Imperative Execution looks at how trade execution is changing and what that means for the buy side.Subscribe to Weekly Wrap emails
- Waters Rankings 2019: All the Winners
- Mizuho Finds New Ways to “Activate” its Data Using AI
- Barclays Nearly Finished with First Major Quantum Computing Experiment
- Banks, Asset Managers Turn to Web Scraping to Generate Alpha
- The AI Ethics Dilemma: Banks Find a Fine Line Between New Tech and 'What's Right'