James Rundle, WatersTechnology’s editor, and Anthony Malakian, editor at large, record a weekly podcast touching on the biggest stories in financial technology.
To hear the full interview, listen in the player above, or you can download it.
Bryan Cross, head of UBS Asset Management’s Quantitative Evidence and Data Science team (QED), joins the podcast to talk about why the firm created the unit in 2018, and to examine the alternative data space.
3:00 What led UBS Asset Management to create the QED group?
6:00 Active versus passive, and how alternative data fits in.
9:00 It’s still early days in the alternative data industry.
13:30 Which sectors of alternative data are most useful?
18:30 How does AI help to distill this information?
21:00 Talent and culture… what were the lessons learned when building this group?
27:30 Bryan talks about his career path and gives advice to up-and-coming data scientists.
31:00 Some book recommendations.
As is the case with everything we do, we'd love to get some feedback from our listeners. Feel free to reach out to Anthony or James via Twitter or email.
Past 10 episodes:
A discussion about blockchain projects in the capital markets, the crypto space and further delays for the CAT.Subscribe to Weekly Wrap emails
- A Blueprint for Alternative Data in Asset Management
- Witad Awards 2019 Write-Ups: Rising Star (End-User)—Irene Kan, TD Securities
- Women in Financial Services: The Shameful Truth
- Witad Awards 2019 Write-Ups: Legal/Compliance Professional of the Year—Miranda Morad, MarketAxess
- Witad Awards 2019 Write-Ups: Technology Innovator of the Year (Vendor)—Regina Williamson, London Stock Exchange Group