Anthony Malakian, US editor of Waters, and James Rundle, news editor of Waters, record a weekly podcast touching on the biggest stories in financial technology.
On January 3, the revised Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (Mifid II) officially went live. Anthony and James take a look at some of the key challenges and concerns ahead. Then, for those interested in entering the inaugural Women in Data & Technology Awards, they provide something of a FAQ. Finally, Tony rants and raves about how people not shoveling their sidewalks is a sign of society’s decay.
2:30 Mifid II is live: A health check as to how it’s going.
4:15 What happens over the next few months?
6:00 A quick history.
8:30 Are regulations too slow to keep up with tech? (Hint: Yes.)
10:15 Are we done with big, bulky regulations like Dodd-Frank and Mifid II? (Hint: No.)
12:00 A look at the global nature of regulation, and the problems that creates.
(See below for links to all of our Mifid II stories)
Women in Data & Technology Awards
15:00 How to apply for the Women in Data & Technology Awards.
19:45 Tony rants about people who don’t shovel their sidewalks. (Note: Strong language is used… liberally.)
Our global coverage of implementation day:
- Kirsten Hyde explores how US firms are preparing defenses against Mifid II for Inside Market Data.
- News editor James Rundle on the weaknesses in the regulatory process exposed by Mifid II’s painful birth.
- For many technology personnel, Mifid’s January 3 implementation meant it wasn’t a festive holiday period.
- WatersTechnology’s reporters in New York and London on implementation day.
- Aggelos Andreou sits down with Esma chairman Steven Maijoor to discuss Mifid II, and maybe Mifid III.
- Inside Reference Data digs in to Esma’s shock announcement of a grace period for identifiers, weeks after one of the main issuers began offering a “same-day” service for a 50 percent markup.
- Our reporters in New York and Hong Kong find that problems might be stacking up for Mifid II compliance in the future, particularly in Asia-Pacific.
- WatersTechnology hosts a webcast on some of the surveillance challenges surrounding Mifid II, featuring Nasdaq, Mana Partners, CIBC and Digital Reasoning.
- Our guide to the key areas that will be affected by Mifid II and EBR.
As is the case with everything we do, we'd love to get some feedback from our listeners. Feel free to reach out to Anthony or James via Twitter or email.
Past 10 episodes:
Anthony and James look news pertaining to cryptocurriences and blockchain deployments, as well as AI and cloud.Subscribe to Weekly Wrap emails
- Buy-Side Technology Awards 2018: All the Winners
- In Praise of Perseverance: Laura Barrowman, Credit Suisse
- Alt-Data Difficulties Challenge Largest Asset Managers
- Brexit's Unintended Consequences Could Include Mifid III
- Wavelength Podcast Episode 145: CSDs Consider Crypto; Bank Robberies & AI; DTCC's Blockchain